Hazmat Endorsement Service

How to Get Your HazMat Endorsement On Your CDL License


Man holding credit card near trucks.

Who needs to obtain an endorsement to a CDL?

A Hazardous Materials (HM) Endorsement on a motorist’s Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required to operate a motor vehicle used to transport HM in commerce. Per 49 CFR 383.93, CDL holders who have passed the knowledge and skills tests prescribed in 49 CFR Part 383, Subpart G, must obtain the required specialized endorsements when operating the type(s) of motor vehicles described in 49 CFR 383.93(b). As a result, a driver may require multiple endorsements, such as an HM and a “Tank” endorsement. States issue endorsements to drivers who successfully complete the testing requirements specific to the endorsement the CDL holder desires to obtain. For purposes of the CDL and the HM Endorsement, Hazardous Materials is defined in 49 CFR 383.5.

What requirements do I have to meet to apply for a HazMat endorsement?

You must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and present proof of citizenship or resident status at the time you apply for the hazardous materials endorsement. See Important Information about the Hazardous Materials Endorsement (pdf) (HAZ-11) for a list of acceptable proof of citizenship or resident status.

You must meet the federal medical requirements in 49 CFR Part 391 and have a valid USDOT Medical Examiner’s Certificate.

EFFECTIVE February 7, 2022: If you are applying for a HazMat Endorsement for the first time you MUST complete HazMat entry-level driver training (ELDT) PRIOR to taking the HazMat Knowledge Test. The DMV will check to make sure your Hazmat ELDT is on file before allowing you to take the Hazmat Knowledge Test. If your Hazmat ELDT is not on file, then you will NOT be allowed to take the Hazmat Knowledge Test. The training provider must be registered on the FMCSA Training Provider Registry. Go to ELDT-FAQ for more information about the ELDT requirement.

Yellow semi-truck hauling tank trailer on construction site.

Is there anything that may disqualify a person from getting a HazMat endorsement?

Yes, under federal law, the Federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) may disqualify you from being authorized to transport hazardous materials if you have been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of any of the crimes listed on Important Information about the Hazardous Materials Endorsement (pdf) (HAZ-11) during the seven years before the date you apply for the endorsement or if you have been released from incarceration in any jurisdiction for committing any disqualifying crime during the five years before the date you applied for the endorsement.

How do I apply for the HazMat endorsement?

Complete the Application for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (pdf) (HAZ-44) and make a copy of one or more of the legal status documents that are listed on the form. Mail the completed form and a copy of your legal status document(s) to:

HazMat Unit

At your states DMV

You may also contact the HazMat unit if you have questions by phone

Do I need to take a written test?

Yes, you must pass a HazMat endorsement written test. You must visit a DMV office to pay the $5.00 written test fee and take the test. The test result is valid until your CDL expires.

You can study the hazardous materials section of the Commercial Driver License Manual (CDL-10) or study the Hazardous Materials Manual (pdf) (CDL-11).

EFFECTIVE February 7, 2022: If you are applying for a Hazmat endorsement for the first time, you must complete Hazmat entry-level driver training before you take the Hazardous Materials knowledge test.

How do I provide my fingerprints for background checks?

The required fingerprinting service is being provided by Identogo. All HazMat endorsement applicants must be fingerprinted at one of the Identogo ID centers located throughout Your State.
Fingerprinting is done by appointment only. You must contact Identogo to select a fingerprinting location and schedule an appointment. Visit uenroll.identogo.com or by calling 1-877-472-6915.

Red semi truck hauling a shiny tanker on highway.

How long will the background checks take and how will I be notified of the results?

The federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recommends that all applicants enroll for the HME Security Threat Assessment (including renewals) a minimum of 60 days before applicants require an eligibility determination. TSA is experiencing increased demand for HME assessments, and the processing times for some applicants may exceed 45 days.

The federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will notify you by mail of the results of the background check based on federal standards only. The TSA website has information about the federal background checks for the HazMat endorsements.

Please do not request the results of background checks from the DMV, Identogo, or the TSA. Wait to receive the notifications in the mail.

Can I get a temporary HazMat endorsement before background checks are complete?

No. We cannot issue the HazMat endorsement until the background checks are completed and approved. The DMV will provide a CDL with the HazMat endorsement that is valid for 90 days only if you applied to renew your current State CDL with a HazMat endorsement the background checks are not completed and approved before the endorsement expires.

What if I do not pass the written test or the background checks?

If you do not pass the written test or the background checks, the DMV will issue a CDL that does not have a HazMat endorsement.

Worker in hazmat suit handling radioactive materials.

How will I know whether my application has been approved?

We will mail you notification of approval along with instructions to go into a DMV office to obtain a CDL with the HazMat endorsement. Your new CDL will display the expiration date of your CDL and the expiration date of your HazMat endorsement. The endorsement is valid for five years.
Federal and State laws require fingerprint-based background checks for anyone who wants a hazardous materials endorsement, to determine whether that person has a criminal history and/or poses a security threat that warrants denying him or her the authorization to transport hazardous materials. No hazardous materials endorsement may be issued, transferred or renewed unless the background checks result in a determination by the Federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and Your State that the person applying for the endorsement is authorized to transport hazardous materials. To initiate background checks, the rules require that

  • The applicant must be fingerprinted, and the applicant’s United States citizenship or permanent legal presence in the United States must be verified.
  • You must answer 80% or more of the questions correctly to pass the test. You can take the test as many times as necessary until you pass the test, but you must pay a $5 fee for each test you take.
  • You must provide fingerprints even if you provided fingerprints for another application, for example, for a pistol permit or employment as a security guard.
  • You must provide fingerprints for an H endorsement or an X endorsement on your CDL.
  • The background checks include a check of criminal history data from your State Division of Criminal Justice Services and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). There is also a background check by the federal Transportation Safety Administration (TSA).

AWGTC can provide you the ELDT On-line Training to fulfill the FMCSA Requirement to obtain your HAZMAT Endorsement.
Please contact us for more information….